Software Exchange

Frank Dietrich dietrich at SGI.COM
Tue Apr 5 15:03:00 AEST 1988

IRIS Software Exchange: a proposal

The IRIS Software Exchange is designed to make user developed
software accessible within the IRIS User Community on a non-commercial basis.

The entire spectrum of applications, including UNIX System V programs,
special graphics algorithms, file conversion programs, editors,
drivers, languages and experimental software is covered in the
Software Exchange.

Silicon Graphics will continue to make selected demo programs available
as part of the Software Exchange. Silicon Graphics also provides
assistance in distributing suitable software across a variety of channels.

We are suggesting the following guidelines and welcome any feedback/input
you may have. We encourage you to participate in the Software Exchange
to increase the productivity of everyone in the IRIS User Community.

a) Software submitted to the Software Exchange is generally
copyrighted by the author and not in the public domain; software will
be accepted only from the author, or from another party
with the written permission of the author.

b) No warranty of any kind is made in regard to the software, nor is
any support provided for the software.

c) The authors and SGI will cooperate to ensure that each
program submitted contains the following:
	* source code
	* makefile
	* man page
	* one paragraph description
	* configuration specs

d) SGI will publish and update a catalogue of software
available in the Exchange.

e) Several channels for distribution will be available:
	* the authors distribute directly (NASA, BRL,etc)
	* software in info-IRIS-Archives via FTP over the net
	* cartridge distribution by SGI at nominal fee
	* SGI established server accessable via modem

f) A representative will be appointed by IRIS users to help organize the
Software Exchange.

Again, your feedback and help on this proposal are crucial.
We are also interested in hearing from you about any software that you
feel may be appropriate for inclusion in the IRIS Software Exchange.

Best regards,

Frank Dietrich    Monica Schulze
	IRIS User Services
	Silicon Graphics Inc.