Color Printers

Marcus Gates marc at aplpy.jhuapl.edu
Thu Feb 4 01:53:00 AEST 1988

    We have 6 Silicon Graphics 2400T workstations on an ethernet with a
Vax running Ultrix and are in the process of evaluating color printers to
improve our hardcopy capability. We currently are able to output plots to
flat-bed plotters using 4.XBSD line-printer spooling, which allows access
to the plotter from any workstation, and also doesn't force the workstation
to be tied-up waiting for the plotter to become available.

    We would prefer to use lineprinter-type spooling to share whatever color
printer we buy, among the workstations.   We are looking at the Tektronix 4693D
color printer.  Any experience regarding this printer or spooling of print files
would be greatly appreciated.  Any suggestions or description of how others have
solved this problem would also be very useful greatly appreciated.

    Also, not long ago someone posted a request for information concerning use
of the X-window system on irises, I haven't seen any replies yet. Could the
original poster please send me a summary of replies (if any) he received.

					Thanks,
					       marc gates
					       johns hopkins applied physics lab
					       laurel, md