want help with error message

Stephen Samuel rroot at edm.UUCP
Fri Jun 17 07:40:02 AEST 1988

>From article <5141 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, by sparks at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Steve Gaarder):
> Our 2 Iris 3020's, running gl 3.5 with tcp and nfs, occasionally (several
> times a day) display the following message on the main display:
>
> ex0: transmit error: <no carrier sense>
loose cable seems likely: I had this problem when I first installed our
ethernet and it was finally solved by putting together a 6 inch
extender cable on the tranciever cable.
  To check: have someone watch the CD led on your tranciever box
(you DO have at least one LED on it, don't you??) while you fiddle
with the connector a bit. If the LED blinks, then chances are the
connector is your problem..  (you should also try to do this while the
ethernet is lightly loaded).