remote printing

Brent Bates TAD/ACB ms294 x2601 blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV
Fri Oct 28 21:55:23 AEST 1988

     That is real fun.  We have an IRIS 3130, but I think the process is the
same.  Our IRIS Owner's Guide has a section on installing a remote printer.
Your manuals should also have a similar section, but I'll give you a brief
idea what ours says.  In /usr/spool/lp/etc/util there are a few printer
utilities.  I executed the script mknetpr to get things started.  This script
sets up various files and lpadmin stuff.  One of the files modified,
/usr/spool/lp/etc/lib/netprinterface, is change and moved to
/usr/spool/lp/interface directory.  This file is the interface between your
Iris and the remote printer.  It basically rcp's the file to be printed to
scratch space on the remote machine, then rsh's a command on the remote machine
to have the file printed.  Isn't System V printer handling fun!?  Give me
BSD any day.  I have yet to find anything in V that is better than BSD.
AT&T needs to make their Unix more like BSD.
     If you have any more questions just ask.