SWAPPER/System performance pt. 2

Rod Paul rpaul at dasys1.UUCP
Tue Oct 11 12:43:46 AEST 1988

(My appologies if you receive two copies of this, I had a power hit at home and
 was kicked off the system).

What I suggest is writing a couple of lines of code that malloc() a meg at
a time, when malloc() returns 0, you should know the maximum amount of
memory allowed PER process.

This problem sounds like a similar one I encountered on a 4D/70 running sys 2.0.
One of my machines had 150 meg of swap space but large processes kept crashing.
It turned out that the kernel was configured to only allow 33 meg per process.
I beleive the variable I changed was 'UMEM', I'll check my notes on the
procedure to fix things tomorrow and let you know.

In the meantime you may want to check up on kernel configuration just to see
if this is in fact related to your problem.