converting from raster to vector ??!!

Eugene Day eugene at ENEEVAX.UMD.EDU
Fri Sep 23 21:02:25 AEST 1988

	Date: Sun, 18 Sep 88 18:42:27 ]Io
	From: Russ Byrne <byrne at eneevax.umd.edu>
	To: info-iris at BRL.MIL

	Subject: Pix file to HP-GL file conversion (for plotting)

	I neglected to specify what I meant by "pix" file format, as
	Phil Dykstra pointed out.  I mean the format used in the BRL
	tools, i.e., the 24 bit per pixel color image format read by such
	utilities as pix-bw, etc.  The files are called file.pix usually.

	What I'd like to be able to do is plot (on a large HP plotter) an
	image (mostly vectors) displayed on the IRIS screen, without recoding
	my graphics to use other plotting primatives discussed in the libplot
	documentation from BRL.  I've got a utility that will dump the screen
	into .pix format, and then laser print on an Imagen laser printer
	(using pix-bw and bw-impress), but what about a nice big color plot?

	Has anyone done this?  The main step is to convert the file from raster
	to vector format...

The HP plotter is a vector device, and your original data is vector format.
"derasterizing" is not straight forward, although there are image scanning
systems which sort of do it with manual cleanup. I would strongly suggest
diverting the data toward hard copy at an earlier stage in the process (before
displaying to screen).