4d 20-> 4d80gt porting bug

Dave Ciemiewicz ciemo at bananapc.wpd.sgi.com
Tue Aug 29 03:26:41 AEST 1989

In article <11275 at watcgl.waterloo.edu>, jdchrist at watcgl.waterloo.edu (Dan Christensen) writes:

> I think you need to use "-lgl_s -lm" because the gl library uses some
> math routines like sin and cos.

The GL now uses it's own internal sin and cosine routines thus eliminating
the need to link with -lm unless your program GL program specifically calls
sin(), cos(), or any of the routines provided by the math library.

I'm not sure in which release this because true though I know it is true
in at least 3.1G.  A way to check is to just link your application without
-lm.

WARNING: The GL internal sin and cosine routines are not for public
consumption so you should not use them in your own applications.  Use of
GL internal routines in your application will almost certainly guarantee
binary IN-compatibility, shared-library or not.  Only GL public routines
are exported via the shared-library interface.

			Cosmo Ciemo, Silicon Valley Dude

I was traipsing through the fields of my mind when I stepped in something that
smelled rather ripe.