# of overlay planes

Martin S. Weinhous weinhous at CASTOR.WUSTL.EDU
Thu Aug 17 04:33:46 AEST 1989

Thant,
  In your note to info-iris you asked ...

TT> Four bits are for overlay and four are for window I.D.  That's how the
TT> machine does arbitrarily shaped and/or overlaping windows in different
TT> modes that can be independently swapped, all without any performance hit.
TT>
TT> If you talk about what you need the 8 overlays for, somebody may have a
TT> a better/workable solution.  (What machine had 24 bits of color AND 8 bits
TT> of overlay?)

  Many image processing systems, particularly those intended for the
processing of gray-scale images provide the capability of using 8 bit
planes of overlay.  This allows the user to, easily,  non destructively,
annotate the gray-scale images with up to 256 colors.  I'd like to do
the same on my 4D120-GTX, but can't.

  And, while I have you on the "line."  Note the TT>  prefix to lines
from your message.  I had to ~m (interpolate) your message then use vi
to change the first character from <tab> to TT> for each line.  Why
dosen't set indentprefix work for Mail?  Any suggestions?
--

						Marty Weinhous
					  <weinhous at castor.wustl.edu>