IRIX 3.1G implementation of X

Tom Russo russo at chaos.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 30 06:19:40 AEST 1989

Well, we got the Revision G tapes installed along with SGI's X development
system, and I must say it is a bit irritating that SGI has chosen to implement
X fonts in a nonstandard way.  We have some X software that used to run under
the alpha release of X, but it uses TeX fonts (made into X fonts with some
application programs), so it no longer works on the Iris.

So, is there any way to force the IRIX X system to use X fonts as
generated by bdftosnf.  Has anybody out there gotten TEXX2 to run on a
4D running 3.1G?  Is there a better TeX previewer around?  Has SGI got
any plans to support true X fonts in the next release?

Looking over the Font Management section of the release notes, I see
mentions of designing ones own fonts. Since we have the X versions of the
TeX fonts already made, is there any way to convert them to NeWS fonts?  Like,
is there a utility bundled in with the development kit?  Or am I missing
something obvious?  If the answer is to RTFM, which FM should I R?  I see
no reference to X fonts anywhere except in the release notes.

Thanks...