Problems with Exabyte

Jason Heirtzler jdh at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Sat Aug 12 14:21:24 AEST 1989

In article <39568 at sgi.SGI.COM> markb at denali.sgi.com (Mark Bradley) says:
>Silicon Graphics recommends that you buy the 8mm helical scan tape drive
>from Silicon Graphics--NOT from Introl.  It works just fine on our MP
>and non-MP machines off our own SCSI and with our own driver.  I have not
>seen nor had the opportunity to test Introl's product, hence it is not
>presently blessed as functional on our systems, as far as I know.

Well, that may be what they recommend now, but it wasn't what they
recommended a little while ago!  We purchased this drive on advice
from our SGI rep.

A question to the SGI people on the net: will the SGI 8mm tape driver
be available as part of the standard kernel in the next OS release 3.2
(?) or will this be supplied on a special tape to those that purchased
the unit directly from SGI ?

Jason Heirtzler           (617) 353-2780       jdh at bu-it.bu.edu
Information Technology    Boston University    ..!harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!jdh