lp

Jack Weldon jweldon at renegade.csd.sgi.com
Thu Aug 17 04:43:43 AEST 1989

In article <8908151823.aa12890 at SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, frobinso at cirm.northrop.com (Fletcher Robinson) writes:
> I was running 3.1C on a 4D70GT and I had a dumb printer hanging off a
> serial port. I installed REV.G and the printer configuration went into
> the twilite zone ...
>
> Now, whenever I issue a lp , lpadmin , or lpstat command, it goes away
> for about 30 to 60 seconds only to return an error message :
>
>            can't lock printer status
>
> Any ideas about what happened and how do I repair it ??????????

We here in the Product Support Group have noticed a few calls concerning this,
but NOT all users that updated to 3.1G have seen the problem you have.
To remedy the situation, do a chown lp /usr/spool/lp (as root, of course).

The problem is that lp can't access its own files.  Please call the Hotline
if this does NOT remedy it.  We are investigating the problem now here in
Product Support with the assistance of the Software Release Group.

Jack Weldon
Product Support System Engineer
Communications Group
--

Cheers,
Jack			"Elvis is alive and well and living in a trailer