SB-Prolog on SGI Iris?

Scott Henry scotth at harlie.SGI.COM
Tue Jan 24 02:58:05 AEST 1989

>From article <4087 at pt.cs.cmu.edu>, by gleicher at b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Gleicher):
> Has anyone successfully gotten SB-Prolog to run on an SGI Personal
> Iris? It refuses to compile it seems.
> Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

I have gotten SB-Prolog up and running on a 4D70G. Since there is no GL
involved, it should work on all 4D's. The "standard" version of SB-Prolog
will only work on byte-addressable architectures (eg: VAX), but Saumya
Debray (debray at arizona.edu) had put together a version for alignment-
restricted processors (such as SPARC), called SBP V3.0. I took the code and
replaced the BSD4.3-isms by IRIX-isms, and sent the diffs back to him. I
am still having some problems (core dumps and such), but I am currently
learning prolog, and am not sure where the problem lies. Ideally, it
should never core-dump, but it does so infrequently. Optimizing with -O4
shrunk the binary, and speeded up some benchmarks by 3-45% (depending).
Compiled prolog seems to be (on one test, the seive of Eratosthenes) about
5-10x faster than interpreted. I would contact S. Debray about FTP-ing
the V3 code. Or, If you have anonymous (incoming) FTP, I might be able to
send it to you (we have no anonymous FTP).

> Thanks,
> 	Mike
>
> --
> Michael Lee Gleicher		gleicher at cs.cmu.edu	(-: Of course I believe
> Carnegie Mellon University	5610 Elmer St. Apt 10	(-: in miracles,
> 				Pittsburgh, PA 15232	(-:        its my job.
> --

	Scott Henry	<scotth at sgi.com>
	Silicon Graphics, Inc.

#disclaimer: I did the port solely to support some of my own work, and SGI
#            makes no warranty about anything I say. This is my stuff only,
#            (etc, etc...).
--
              Scott Henry