Iris key remapping

Mike Muuss mike at BRL.MIL
Tue Jan 10 16:47:22 AEST 1989

As best as I can tell, the "4D" series of SGI machines use
IBM PS/2 keyboards, probably from a second-source vendor.

These keyboards are completely "soft", and the keys can be re-mapped.
Under SGI Release 2, they had provided BRL with patches to move the
control/shift_lock, and escape/tilde keys.

To date, SGI has not provided this same capability under SGI Release 3.1,
so we continue to use Sun-3/50 workstations as "front-ends" to our SGI
workstations.  We can't stand the keyboard layout of the PS/2 keyboard.

I understand that, at least under Release 2.0, it required changing the
source code to "wsh.c" to implement the re-bindings -- it is not
something that can be done via a config file.

Hopefully we can persuade SGI to release an interim solution to the
bad keyboard layout problem.
	Best,
	 -Mike