emacs on 4D120GTX

DIXONS DIXONS at smithkline.com
Thu Jan 12 00:15:00 AEST 1989

I have been trying to bring up gnu emacs (version 18.52) on our 4D120GTX system
and have run into a problem perhaps someone else has solved.  After a few
modifications to the existing m-iris*.h and s-iris*.h files (from the
gnu distribution) I have managed to get emacs running (at least for the
things that I have tried).  My problem is that the routine unexmips (which
is supposed to save an executable image of emacs after intitialization) does
not work for the current version of IRIX.  As near as I can tell, the
format of a ZMAGIC object file has changed quite a bit from what that routine
is expecting.  Rewriting that routine is probably more than I want to tackle.
Has anyone else already done this?  Without that, emacs is still functional,
but since it loads a lot of lisp code upon startup, it is somewhat slow to
start up.
Regards,
Scott Dixon (internet: dixons at smithkline.com)