Iris key remapping

Steve Philipson steve at eos.UUCP
Wed Jan 11 05:22:42 AEST 1989

In article <8901100147.aa05163 at SEM.BRL.MIL> mike at BRL.MIL (Mike Muuss) writes:

>These keyboards are completely "soft", and the keys can be re-mapped.
>Under SGI Release 2, they had provided BRL with patches to move the
>control/shift_lock, and escape/tilde keys.
>
>To date, SGI has not provided this same capability under SGI Release 3.1, ...

   Ah, I begin to see why I there are problems with installing 3.1 on my
4D/60 that is still running 2.0.

   I'm trying to boot from a tape drive on another machine.  My efforts
are greeted with a copy of the install software (which takes several minutes),
followed by this error when it tries to run the program:

	can't load keyboard table   dkip(0,0,8) io_ktbl

   I may have the message slightly wrong ... I get to see it for about .1
second before the machine clears the screen and drops back to the monitor
level.  I'd appreciate receiving info on how to install the new software
given this problem.  I DO have a call into the hotline, but seem to be
playing telephone-tag with those folks, and I'd like to get going ASAP.
--

						   Steve
					(the certified flying fanatic)
					    steve at aurora.arc.nasa.gov