Thanks - but more questions!

Brent L. Bates TAD/TAB ms294 x42854 blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV
Sat Jul 8 07:16:58 AEST 1989

1.  I don't know what the differences are between lpr and lp.
    I couldn't find anything to discribe how to use lpr, so
    I haven't used it.  I only use lp.  I would suggest you
    use lp only too.  It gives you more options and more printers.

2.  I don't think lpr uses the interface files. Like I said above,
    I think you should forget about lpr and just use lp.

3.  Is the times off by hours or minutes?  If it is hours it could
    be that the sh shell environment variable TZ is not set correctly.
    This sets the time zone.  If it is minutes, it could be the
    difference between when you send it and when it finally gets printed.
    Those are the only things I can think of.

It seems to me that when I changed the interface files, I had to also
shut the scheduler off and on.  Maybe even change the model file instead,
and redo lpadmin again to set the interface.  It seemed to behave as if
there are two copies of the interface files one in /usr/spool/lp/interface
and another someplace else that I couldn't find.  It has been a while
since I messed with all that stuff, so I am not sure.  I wished SGI had
used BSD lpr instead of System V.  The best OS is BSD with some System V
extensions.  System V is such a pain.
   Well I hope that is some help.  Sorry I haven't been any more helpfull.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center
	E-mail: blbates at aero4.larc.nasa.gov or blbates at aero2.larc.nasa.gov