Korn Shell (and bash) for IRIS

Mark Galassi rosalia at noether.UUCP
Tue Jul 4 08:03:16 AEST 1989

In article <391 at cditi.UUCP> caw at cditi.UUCP (Craig Westveer) writes:
>Does anyone out there know if the Korn Shell is available for the 4D
>series machines?

I have ported bash (that is, the Born Again SHell, the GNU project shell).
The port is not really a serious one, in that I have not checked many things
out.  It will work fine if you invoke "bash" from the existing shell
or C shell, but I have not yet got it to work as  a default shell.
Basically, I did the minimum to get it to compile and recognize the
correct set of signals from <signal.h>.  Note also that bash is right
now a beta release.

If anyone wants, I can send them the diffs for bash to run on the
personal IRIS, and any other IRIS.

I should point out that bash has the Korn shell history substitution
together with the C shell '!' mechanism, and thus in my opinion leaves
no need for the Korn shell.  More over it is FREE software from the
Free Software Foundation, so you don't have silly licensing stuff and
you don't pay thousands of dollars for it.
--
    {These opinions are mine, and should be everybody else's :-)}
                            Mark Galassi
                        rosalia at noether.UUCP    rosalia at noether.sunysb.edu