subroutines perpec and lookat

Thant Tessman thant at horus.sgi.com
Sat Jul 29 08:44:06 AEST 1989

In article <39135 at sgi.SGI.COM>, tarolli at dragon.wpd.sgi.com (Gary Tarolli) writes:
> In article <38766 at sgi.SGI.COM>, thant at horus.sgi.com (Thant Tessman) writes:
> > In article <8907250331.AA20644 at prism.gatech.edu>, ccsupos%prism at GATECH.EDU ("SCHREIBER, O. A.") writes:
> >

> > This is probably due you assuming that z is up (a perfectly reasonable
> > assumption, one would think) but that the 'lookat' for historical reasons
> > thinks that y is up, not z.
> >

> I think it is perfectly reasonable for y to be the up axis.  Its not a
> historical reason, its a logical one.  If z was up, then zbuffers would
> be called ybuffers wouldn't they?   Zbuffers are called zbuffers because
> the z axis runs along the line of sight!  This implies x and y are
> therefore up/down  and right/left.
> --
> 						Gary Tarolli

These are exactly the historical reasons I was refering to.  It's logical
to computer scientists who started out having to address pixels on a
screen using x and y.  (Zbuffers are called zbuffers because X and Y were
taken already.)  Unfortunately for computer scientists, the
rest of the world thinks z is up.  If we were building these things just
for computer scientists it would have also had a left handed coordinate
system (gods be praised it doesn't).

Seriously, the hotline has spent a man-century or two trying to explain
why the 'twist' never seems to do what people thought it did.

thant at sgi.com