/debug size

Thomas P. Mitchell mitch at rock.sgi.com
Tue Jul 18 10:31:32 AEST 1989

In article <8907161727.AA17013 at anaconda.Stanford.EDU> bul at ANACONDA.STANFORD.EDU (Byung-Uk Lee) writes:

>One problem with the /debug size is that it builds up. My guess is that there
>are some processes that claims swap spaces even after the process is killed.
>The only way to refresh the /debug directory seems to be rebooting the machine

Please, the size of /debug is not real.  /debug is a data
structure which is used by the debugging tools to locate
running processes.  Users need do nothing with it.  Except
perhaps omit it in backups.

The size is not real.  Remember one of the primary goals of
Unix/Irix(1) is to reuse code.  When 'dbx' was enhanced to
permit attaching running processes the model of a filesystem
was apparently selected because there was a lot of code
which was easy to reuse.  As a side effect things like 'df'
could return interesting things.  The nature of
'interesting' is a result of the whims of the kernel
programer.  In other words things may change.

What is documented is the -p flag to dbx.  Let us review;
/debug was designed as a hook for dbx.
                                     ^ *PERIOD*

It happens to look like a filesystem.  But that makes things
like  open/close/lseek etc. work in ordinary ways.  Remember
the part about reusing code.

--------
(1) Both Trademarks.
    UNIX is AT&T's
    Irix is Silicon Graphics'
--

Thomas P. Mitchell (ARPA:mitch at csd.sgi.com, UUCP:  {decwrl,ucbvax}!sgi!mitch )
Rainbows -- The best (well second best) reason for windows.