questions about tn3270 on the Iris 4D's

Tony Facca fsfacca at LERC08.LERC.NASA.GOV
Tue Jul 11 21:46:01 AEST 1989

John,

I picked up the tn3270 stuff from your system and with only a minimal amount of
effort, was able to get it running on all of the Iris 4D's (including the
Personal Iris).  I have a couple of questions about it.

1) When I call the tn3270 program from a "toolchest" type window, using
   "wsh -blah -blah -c /usr/local/bin/tn3270 hostname"

   Everything works just fine except that when I press the "delete" key on
   the middle section of keys, the window is aborted due to a bad key mapping
   (or unexpected interrupt).  However, if I just do "tn3270 hostname" from
   the command line, this problem does not exist.  Any ideas on where to look??

2) What exactly is the deal with the PF9-PF12 keys?  I don't understand what
   is meant by "alternate keyboard mapping" as referenced in the wsh(1) man
   page.  I guess you must have had to deal with this when you ported the
   stuff to the Iris's and decided that it was too much of a pain to try to
   get PF9-PF12 working.. do you remember why you didn't map the functions
   directly?

3) I have a tar(1) format file which includes an Iris 4D-specific Makefile
   along with the source which we use to compile "tn3270", if you or anyone
   else would like a copy of it.

4) Great job with the port.  The program works beautifully.

Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca at lerc08.lerc.nasa.gov