Alt key to Meta key bindings (for Gnu)

Kyle Jones kjones at talos.UUCP
Thu Jun 15 03:11:14 AEST 1989

Daniel A Haug writes:
 > Okay, following is my .emacs file (for Gnu) with key bindings that map
 > the Alt-key to the Meta-key.  Note that on the SG, this only works
 > currently for the right Alt key, not the left Alt key.
 > [...]
 > (global-set-key "\e[111q" 'find-tag)                 ;ESC-.
 > (global-set-key "\e[109q" 'tags-loop-continue)       ;ESC-,
 > (global-set-key "\e[111q" 'end-of-buffer)            ;ESC->
 > (global-set-key "\e[109q" 'beginning-of-buffer)      ;ESC-<

Something's amiss here.  The bindings suggest that there's no way to
distinguish ALT-. and ALT-, from ALT-> and ALT-<.

Also, we could get rid of all the (global-set-key ...) calls if someone
would post a translation table listing what each ALT key sequence
translates to.  With that, a single function could be written to do the
translation and this could be put into a file in the lisp/term directory
of the Emacs distribution.  The whole process could then be transparent
to the user.  Dan, if you don't hack Lisp, I'll write the
function given the aforementioned table.

In any event I'm curious about what kind of mapping the ALT key on the
SG terminal does.  I looked at the list of bindings posted and could see
no pattern, logical or otherwise.