Sticky converter...

swenson at NUSC-WPN.ARPA swenson at NUSC-WPN.ARPA
Wed Jun 7 23:37:00 AEST 1989

G'day,

	Here is a puzzler...

	I was doing some ray-tracing on a 60T when one morning I came
in and displayed an image that I had traced the day before.  There were
pixels (usually forming some pattern) that were corrupted.  I naturally thought
that something was wrong in my ray-tracer...I looked and looked and everything
seemed to be in order.  For grins, I redisplayed the image and the corrupt
parts were gone.  After much thinking, I wrote a short program to display
a grey-ramp in RGB mode.  Well what to my wondering eyes should appear
but a little red line where RGB value (156, 156, 156) should have been.
Evidently, my Iris goes to the Bahamas every now and then and forgets to
fire its blue and green guns when 156 is in the bit planes.  Curious.
	SGI says its the D/A's getting stuck (I hate when that happens).
I would be interested to know if anyone else has suffered from sticky
D/A's.

				Steve Swenson
				SWENSON at NUSC-WPN.ARPA
------