tcsh for the Iris 4D?

Glenn Meyer, Code SL glenn at CARMA.ARC.NASA.GOV
Sat Jun 10 11:53:59 AEST 1989

> Date: 9 Jun 89 12:43:25 GMT
> From: sun-barr!texsun!texbell!uhnix1!uhnix2!crcc!davis at apple.com
> Subject: tcsh for the Iris 4D?
> Sender: info-iris-request at BRL.MIL
> To: info-iris at BRL.MIL
>

> 	In a recent article in this newsgroup I saw mention of the tcsh
> shell.  I am interested in getting this shell on our Iris 4D's.  I have
> the source from a VAX running BSD 4.3 and it needs some work to be ported
> to the Iris.  I would appreciate any information about obtaining a Iris
> version, or if none exists any suggestions about getting the BSD 4.3 code
> running.
>
> Malcolm Davis
> davis at uhrcc2.crcc.uh.edu
> davis at uhrcc2.bitnet
> Dept. of Chem; Univ. of Houston; Houston, TX 77204-5641

As indicated by the following README file, which came with one distribution
of tcsh from Ohio State University, Paul Placeway, wherever he is now,
should have a lot of experience with tcsh. When I talked to him a year or so
ago, he said that he was working on a port of tcsh to system V, although
not specifically to the IRIS. You might want to try contacting him at
the address at the end of the README file, which follows. If you get tcsh
running on an IRIS, or find that someone's already done that, I'd
definitely like a copy.

---------------begin README--------------------

Here (at long last) is the latest version of tcsh.  Tcsh is a version
of the Berkeley C-Shell, with the addition of: a command line editor,
command and file name completion, listing, etc.  and a bunch of small
additions to the shell.

Tcsh runs on BSD 4.2 and 4.3 Unix, Sun Unix (tested on 3.0 and 3.2),
Pyramid OS/X (in the bsd universe) (tested on 4.0), Encore UMAX 4.2,
Apple A/UX (Oreo) and is probably portable to anything else that has
Berkeley job control and signals.  It does not yet run on vanilla
System V (that will take more effort).

Feel free to use it.  These changes to csh may only be included in a
commercial product if the inclusion or exclusion does not change the
purchase price, level of support, etc.  Please respect the individual
authors by giving credit where credit is due (in other words, don't
claim that you wrote portions that you haven't, and don't delete the
names of the authors from the source code or documentation).  Remember
also that these changes may be redistributed, but the csh source code
still falls under the Berkeley source code license (that's why I am
distributing diffs).

To install tcsh:

0) you will need a copy of the sources to 4.2 BSD csh, and Larry
Wall's "patch" program.  Sources to the 4.3 csh should be good enough,
although some diffs may have to be applied by hand.

1) Make a directory and COPY the sources to 4.2 BSD csh into it.  Make
sure that you have write permission to all of the files in the
directory.

2) Delete the csh "Makefile".

3) Copy all of the tcsh sources, documentation, diffs, "Makefile.new",
etc. into the directory with the 4.2 csh sources.

4) Rename "Makefile.new" to "Makefile".

5) Say "patch < DIFFS.1", then "patch < DIFFS.2".  Watch the output
very carefully for any failed patches.  If any hunks fail, you will
have to apply them by hand.

6) If you are compiling this for a Macintosh II (running Apple Unix),
then you will have to adjust the compilation flags in Makefile.

7) If you are running something other than a Vax, Sun 2, Sun 3,
Pyramid 90 or 98 series, or a Macintosh II, you will want to adjust
the code in sh.c that determines the value of the "HOSTTYPE"
environment variable for your machine.  Look in sh.c for the string
"HOSTTYPE".

8) you may want to adjust the DESTDIR and DESTMAN entries in the
Makefile.  These are the directories that tcsh, and the tcsh.1 man
entry will be placed in when you do a "make install".  If you decide
to install tcsh somewhere other than in /bin/tcsh, add
"-DSHELLPATH=/your/installation/directory" to the CFLAGS in Makefile.

9) make

10) Read the documentation while you are waiting.  The file tcsh.1 is
in standard [nt]roff -man format.

11) Test tcsh to see that it has compiled correctly.  The history
command should give a time stamp on every entry.  Typing normal
characters should echo each exactly once.  Control-A should put the
cursor at the beginning of the input line, but after the prompt.

12) Enjoy.

13) PLEASE send any bug reports (and fixes), code for new features,
comments, questions, etc. (even flames) to:

	     -- Paul Placeway
	SNail:	The Ohio State University
		2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
	ARPA:	paul at ohio-state.{arpa,csnet}
	(soon):	paul at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
	UUCP:	...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!paul
	(soon):	...!cbosgd!osu-cis!paul

Glenn Meyer
Office phone:  	415-694-4804
U.S. Mail:	CARMA, Sterling Software, NASA-Ames, M.S. 233-14
		Moffett Field, Ca.  94035
{glenn%carma at ames.arc.nasa.gov,ucbvax.berkeley.edu!carma.arc.nasa.gov!glenn}