FORTRAN Question

Knobi der Rechnerschrat XBR2D96D at DDATHD21.BITNET
Thu Jun 8 16:59:58 AEST 1989

Hallo everybody,

 a friend of mine without a network connection (poor guy) reported the
following observation to me. When I was able to reproduce it, I didn't feel
really happy about it. Here it comes: my friend has the following Fortran code

        PROGRAM TEST
        WRITE(*,*) 'Test Test'
        END

 When compiling this code with several debug/optimize switches you get the
following sizes for the executable image files:

                 cc -xxx t.f -o t        f77 -xxx t.f -o t
xxx=g              220472 byte             292984 byte
xxx=O1             220388 byte             292900 byte
xxx=O2                          same as O1
xxx=O3                          same as O1

The same program compiled on a VAX (I'm definitely not a great VAX friend) with
the most unfavourable switches (/DEBUG=ALL/NOOPT on compile and /DEBUG/NOSYSSHR
on link) gives a maximum size of 25000 byte (4000 byte using the shared libs).

I know that RISC code is larger than CISC code, but I didn't know that the
difference is that large. What I also don't understand is the difference
between cc and f77. I thought if cc detects a fortran file it would just do the
same as f77. As a last question, is SGI (or MIPS if thats the right target for
this problem) thinking about shareable libraries beside libgl_s.a ? I think
that would greatly reduce link time and disk usage.

Regards
Martin Knoblach
<xbr2d96d at ddathd21.bitnet>