Wsh and pathnames.

Kipp Hickman kipp at warp.wpd.sgi.com
Fri Jun 9 01:24:50 AEST 1989

In article <8906072129.AA01398 at mhd.uchicago.edu>, malagoli at MHD.UCHICAGO.EDU (Andrea Malagoli) writes:
> It seems to me that when I start a wsh with the option -c (command)
> a different path is used other than the one I define in my .cshrc
> file. Sometimes, wsh is unable to run the command and exits.
> Andrea Malagoli
> University of Chicago

When you run wsh -c, it inherits its environment from whatever
started it.  If you start it from your shell, then it will inherit
the environment from the shell, and all should be fine and dandy.

If you start it from 4sight, then it inherits the environment from
4sight.  This is the most common problem, because 4sight is started
before your environment is loaded up.  A quick-and-dirty solution
is to add the following (sample) line to your user.ps in your
home directory:

(PATH) (/d/kipp/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bsd:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/etc:/etc:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/local/bin/ctools) putenv

this does mean you have a copy of the information in your
.login/.profile, but thats why its quick-and-dirty.  Better yet, is
to use the ``exporttonews'' program (I believe its floating around
on the net somewhere).

				kipp