Kyoto Common Lisp on SGI

Jim Barton jmb at patton.SGI.COM
Wed Mar 29 03:35:46 AEST 1989

In article <818 at mv06.ecf.toronto.edu>, soosaar at ecf.toronto.edu (Robert Soosaar) writes:
> We are porting Kyoto Common Lisp to our Silicon Graphics
> workstations (Personal Iris and 3000 series) and have come
> across a few problems.
>
> On the Personal Iris:
> 	A few of the functions are written with in-line assembly
> 	code.  These functions (in earith.c and bitop.c) have to
> 	be converted into assembler code for the MIPS processor.

> Rob Soosaar

Might I suggest you just write the same code in C, and let the MIPS optimizer
turn it into fast assembly.  I haven't hand coded assembly for a 4D for
speed purposes for years.  The last time I did, I spent hours getting at as
fast as possible.  Then I wrote the same function in C, compiled & optmized
it, and found out that the generated code had one less instruction than I
had.  Why beat your brains out?

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

  "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
			- Elvis Costello, 'Red Shoes'