Flight/dog questions

jim frost madd at adt.UUCP
Tue Mar 7 01:19:49 AEST 1989

>We've got a couple of Personal Irises and I've got a few dog/flight
>questions.
>
>1) I've heard talk of an "airshow" capability. How does one create an
>airshow and how does one view such a thing?

dog -o filename will dump a flight to a disk file, dog -i filename
will read from a disk file, and dog -i file1 -o file2 will add your
plane to an existing file.  Beware:  these files get big FAST.

>2) The heads-up display is great, but how do you get the missle lock to
>work when you're using it? I've tried it many many times and can't figure
>out where the target should be for the lock to function.

Dead center, same as without heads-up.  There are cross-hairs at that
point.  The closer the better.  Heads-up doesn't give messages so you
have no idea exactly what's going on, but it does work.

>3) about that heads up display... there is a little circle with part of a
>cross hair which moves about as I zip around. My first guess at what this was
>(a sight?) appears to be incorrect. So what the **** is it?

True direction; this is where your plane is really going.

>4) On one of our irises (the one with the chintzier graphics) the radar shows
>an opponent in red if the target is above you, and black if it's below. This is
>fine when using the heads-up display, but if you use the other type the little
>black radar blip doesn't show up so well on the black background. Any way to
>tweak the executable (we don't have the source) to fix that? (BTW, I was told
>that the source is available if you sign a non-disclosure agreement. Is
>that so?)

That must be the model with only 12 bit-planes.  It should also have
rainbow-colored planes and the purple mountains aren't displayed.  No
idea how to fix it, although I'd like to try.  There also appears to
be other problems with the radar on personal irises (seems to be quite
intermittent) and I suspect they are linked to color as well.

jim frost
madd at bu-it.bu.edu