tar

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.SGI.COM
Sat Mar 25 06:28:28 AEST 1989

In article <28925 at bu-cs.BU.EDU>, eap at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Eric Pearce) writes:

>   Has anybody tried GNU tar on the SGI?  (I can't try it myself at the
>   moment)  It does multi-volume archives and incremental backups and
>   restores.  I don't know if it would solve the tape positioning
>   problems you are having with the 1/4" drive.  It's worth a try.
>
>   (you can get it from prep.ai.mit.edu)

It won't help.  The problem is the 1/4" controller and drive.  I believe
it's common to all 1/4 inch archive tapes.  The man page for tar on SunOs
release 4.0 says

	r	... Note: this option does not work with quarter-inch archive
		tapes.

SGI's tar handles multi-volume tar files.  Beer/Bru is good for backup.

--
	-Mark