tar

Ken Van Camp kvancamp at PICA.ARMY.MIL
Fri Mar 24 02:08:59 AEST 1989

 >   If the 4D/70GTB is like the 3000's, you can't do what you're trying
 >to do.  Our documentation says that you can ONLY create an entire tape
 >at one time, you CAN'T append to a tape that already has information on
 >it.  This is very annoying.

Yes, it is true of the 4D's as well.

 >Another annoyance is that archives can't
 >be spread over multiple tapes.

That's what SGI told me when we bought our original 3020's, but we tried
it and it worked fine.  I have restored several volumes of tapes this
way with no ill effects.  I have also tried this out on the 4D's with
no problem.

                            --Ken Van Camp
ARPANET:  kvancamp at PICA.ARMY.MIL -or- kvancamp at ARDEC.ARPA
BITNET:   (use above through normal gateways, like UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU)
USENET:   pica.army.mil!kvancamp at UUNET.UU.NET