Problem with 2400T

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.SGI.COM
Thu Mar 16 12:36:38 AEST 1989

In article <7441 at boulder.Colorado.EDU>, hartzell at boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) writes:
> We are having some network trouble with an iris 2400Turbo.  It is
> running version GL2-3.5 of sgi's unix, with tcp/ip.  Apparently it is
> responding to routing packets with a "port unreachable" ICMP reply.  My
> understanding is that it should just be ignoring them.  Has anyone seen
> this before?
> George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
>  MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
> hartzell at Boulder.Colorado.EDU  ..!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!hartzell

What kind of routing packets?  RIP/UDP?  If so, is routed(1M) running?  I
seem to recall a bug which would cause routed to quite.  I don't remember
if it was fixed before or after 3.6.  Of course, corruption of files such
as /etc/services and /etc/rc.tcp, or a crazy YP master could make it
difficult or impossible for routed(1M) to run.  In any case, you really
should consider upgrading to 3.6.

My understanding of the universe and everything implies one should not
ignore ordinary UDP packets.  One hopes and expects that you are not seeing
port-unreachables for ICMP-redirects.

If you are using some other kind of routing, with a deamon that is supposed
to be listen on some port other than 520, then you'll have to do some
porting.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs at sgi.com