Transfer Personal IRIS images to VCR

Gavin A. Bell gavin at krypton.sgi.com
Tue Nov 21 05:46:21 AEST 1989

gklaass at yunexus.UUCP (Gary Klaassen) writes:
>We are considering getting a Personal Iris to do 3D colour graphics.
>We would like to transfer the images, frame by frame if necessary, to
>NTSC video (VHS and super VHS) for animation.

Since several people have mailed me asking for information on
the new VideoCreator product, I've decided to post the information.
This information was sent out to the SGI sales force as a sales guide.
Note that this product was only recently announced; it is expected to
be available in quantity starting in March 1990.

-----------------------------

On October 30th, at AutoFact, Silicon Graphics announced a new video
interface product for the IRIS 4D workstation family called
VideoCreator.  VideoCreator is the second member of the 4Deo family of
video interface solutions.  The first product, the Live Video
Digitizer, works with the POWER Series and lets users integrate live
video images with real-time 3-D graphics on the same workstation.

DESCRIPTION

VideoCreator provides a complete, integrated video output solution
which allows users to record computer-generated images from their IRIS
4D workstations directly onto standard video tape and disk recorders.
The product consists of a VME board that plugs directly into
Professional and POWER Series systems.  For additional flexibility,
the board can reside in a stand-alone box which connects to any of the
workstations, including the Personal IRIS.

Product features include real-time scan conversion, which allows the
user to record onto video tape any image that appears on their
high-resolution screen.  In addition, VideoCreator allows applictions
to record individual frames of computer-generated imagery
sequentially, a key step in the process of creating computer
animation.  Unlike the Genlock option, this function can be performed
in the "background" allowing the workstation to be used for other
tasks while recording is taking place.

SCAN CONVERSION

Scan conversion is a commonly used term for taking a high resolution
video signal (like the one used to drive IRIS workstation monitors)
and lowering the resolution to be compatible with standard television
equipment and recorders.  Scan converters have been available from
third parties like Lyon Lamb, Folsom Research, and RGB technologies
for prices ranging from $13,000 to $26,000.

VideoCreator's integrated scan converter allows images appearing on
the workstation's high resolution screen to be recorded onto video
tape in real-time.  Scan conversion provides the simplest way to
record computer generated images onto video tape.  Since no special
software is needed, it is the ideal solution for engineers and
scientists who want to capture on video tape an interactive session
with general purpose software.  In addition, scan conversion provides
anti-aliasing effects which can smooth lines and edges beyond what
mighe be achievable by rendering images directly (frame-by-frame) to
television resolution.

FRAME-BY-FRAME

Frame-by-frame recording is the method traditionally employed to
produce computer generated animation.  VideoCreator's television
resolution VME frame buffer allows application software to render and
output images without affecting the workstation's display.  This means
users can monitor the frame-by-frame recording process while running
other applications on the workstation at the same time.

VideoCreatorR CONTROL

Most computer animation interfaces require the user to purchase an
additional piece of equipment called a "VCR controller".  The VCR
controller allows the workstation to send commands to the VCR directly
so that recording does not require the presence of an operator.  Such
equipment costs from $3,000 to $4,000.

A unique feature of VideoCreator is Videomedia's V-LAN VCR control
interface.  The V-LAN system consists of a transmitter (that resides
on the VideoCreator board) and a receiver connected togehter via a
proprietary LAN (coax) interface.  A customer wishing to use the V-LAN
interface must purchase separately a receiver specifically matched to
the VCR they will be using.

Applications software can send VCR control commands directly to
VideoCreator.  VideoCreator's V-LAN transmitter sends those commands
to the receiver via the coax interface.  The receiver then converts
those commands into ones understood by the specific VCR being
controlled.  In this way application software can have full control
over the VCR, eliminating any need for operator intervention while
doing frame-by-frame recording.

CONFIGURATIONS

VideoCreator is available for all Silicon Graphics workstations,
including the Personal IRIS, Professional and POWER series.  The
product consists of a 9U VME board that plugs directly into the
Professional and POWER series systems.  For additional flexibility the
board can reside in a stand-alone box which connects to any of the
workstations.

PRICING
Description                    Price

VideoCreator NTSC video        $9,950
output, 9U VME board

VideoCreator NTSC video        $12,000
output, external box
(required for Personal IRIS)

NOTE:  A V-LAN receiver must be purchased separately in order to use
the VCR controller interface.  The receiver should be purchased from
the customer's local video dealer (where they purchased the VCR) or
from Videomedia directly.  Prices run from $1,000 to $1,650 depending
on the type of VCR used.

FEATURES                       BENEFITS

Real-time scan conversion      "What you see is what you get"
                               video recording, application S/W
                               independent

Frame-by-frame recording       Can be done in "background"
                               without tying up workstations display

Videomedia's V-LAN VCR         Lower cost, complete integrated
controller                     solution from one vendor

Genlockable output             Eliminates need for separate
                               genlock board

True RS-170 or EURO RGB        Ability to connect to broadcast
video output                   quality color encoders and
                               produce a broadcast quality signal

24 bit true color output       Maximize color quality of recording

Support for RGB, composite     Flexible output formats
NTSC and S-VHS or PAL video
output

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Does VideoCreator produce broadcast quality video signals?

   No it does not.  The composite NTSC and S-VHS signals are
   "industrial quality".  They are acceptable for recording directly
   to high-end consumer and low-end professional video recorders.  For
   broadcast quality the user is encouraged to use a broadcast quality
   color encoder along with VideoCreator.

Why is VideoCreator so expensive?

   Much of the expense associated with VideoCreator is for the
   integrated scan conversion feature, that makes video recording easy
   and simple for unsophisticated video users.  Third party scan
   converters cost form $13,000 to $26,000.  Therefore, VideoCreator
   provides scan conversion, "background" frame-by-frame recording,
   and deck control all for less than what you pay for many scan
   converters on the market today.

When can I get one?

    VideoCreator should be shipping in quantity in March 1990.