logging on

Paul Mielke paulm at kestrel.sgi.com
Wed Nov 15 05:49:29 AEST 1989

In article <2830 at uceng.UC.EDU>, trohling at uceng.UC.EDU (tom rohling) writes:

>      Does anyone (SGI - are you listening??) have any idea why it takes so
> long (4 - 5 seconds!) for our 4D to realize that you have incorrectly
> entered your login name or password?  At first I figured it was just the
> way things are, and what can you about it.  Then when we were upped to OS
> version 3.1415..... I thought it may be fixed, nope.  Well maybe after it
> became a 120GTX running 3.1D, nope.

... stuff omitted ...

>      A good explanation of this would be appreciated.
>
> 				Much obliged,
>
> 				Tom Rohling
> 				University of Cincinnati

This is a feature, not a bug.  The login program does a sleep(4) after each
invalid login attempt.  The idea is to make it harder to break into a system
with a program that attempts to guess passwords.  Sorry to disappoint you,
but it still works that way in 3.2.

Regards,

Paul Mielke                  paulm at sgi.com
Advanced Systems Division    (415) 962-3447
Silicon Graphics, Inc.