two surprises on upgrading to IRIX 3.2

Thant Tessman thant at horus.esd.sgi.com
Fri Nov 17 04:34:10 AEST 1989

In article <8911160157.AA24392 at aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") writes:

>      (1) Gee that is annoying.  SUN windows works the way you would
>          like it to work, as you were hoping the SGI windows would
>          work.  If you put a window and its icon in specific places
>          you would think that they would return to those places.
>          I guess SGI has some catching up to do.

I was waiting for someone else to respond to the original posting.  I
wasn't expecting Brent L. Bates to do it first.

First, copy from /usr/NeWS/lib/user.ps to user.ps in your own
home directory.

Next, look for the three lines in your copy of user.ps that look like:

%% whether icons are automaticly tidied up is controled by TidyState
% UserProfile /TidyState /Always put            % default state
% UserProfile /TidyState /Never put             % pre- 4D3.2 release behavior

Change them to make it look like:

%% whether icons are automaticly tidied up is controled by TidyState
% UserProfile /TidyState /Always put            % default state
UserProfile /TidyState /Never put             % pre- 4D3.2 release behavior

There are other goodies in there to change as well if you like.

thant

--
There are 336 dimples on the standard golf ball.