two surprises on upgrading to IRIX 3.2

Michael Toy mtoy at sgi.com
Fri Nov 17 04:42:29 AEST 1989

In article <17280027 at acf4.NYU.EDU>, mcqueen at acf4.NYU.EDU (David M.
McQueen) writes:

> We have recently upgraded to IRIX 3.2 and I notice (so far) two
peculiarities:

>      (1) It seems to be impossible to force a stowed window to stay at
>          a location other than the original stowed location.
> Dave McQueen

I thought I had posted a reply to this, but it seems to have been
dropped.  I'll post again and apologize in advance for the double
posting in case both get through.

Point #1, icons stack themselves in neat little rows when you stow
windows.  This new feature (or mis-feature, depending on your
expectations) is described in the release notes (relnotes -p eoe1 -c 5)
and in the 4sight Programmer's Guide, in the default "user.ps" file
in /usr/NeWS/lib and in the example customization
log in account "4Dgifts".

Or, if you don't care to learn about  any new features, you can tell 4sight to
have the pre 3.2 behavior by adding the line
	UserProfile /TidyState /Never put
to the file "user.ps" in your home directory.

Michael Toy