TTY minor device numbers

C. Harald Koch chk at alias.UUCP
Wed Nov 15 09:34:08 AEST 1989

What is the difference between the ttyd*, ttym*, and ttyf* devices? What do
the various bits in the minor device number really do?

>From scouring the manuals, I have managed to find that ttym* is meant for
modems, which probably means that an open() call won't return until DCD is
set. I can't find anything else, other than an obscure reference to the
Owner's Guide (which doesn't say anything useful).

	aTdHvAaNnKcSe,

--
C. Harald Koch                        Alias Research, Inc., Toronto ON Canada
chk%alias at csri.utoronto.ca      chk at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu      chk at chk.mef.org