malloc problems revisited

Mark T Vandewettering markv at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Fri Nov 10 02:34:31 AEST 1989

I know this has been hashed out in the newsgroups before, but I still
have to reach a viable resolution for a program that I am working on.

This program allocates around 400K polygons, containing roughly 50 bytes
each.  Yet, when drawn, the paging activity on the system goes through
the roof.  Eventually, the program dies with by being unable to allocate
any more pages.  We have 16 megabytes of memory on an SGI 240GTX, OS 3.1g.

I have tried using -lmalloc to get the Berkeley one as well.  Does
anyone have any good ideas as to how get around this problem?  Is there
a problem in the library routines as well that prevents drawing of more
than a fixed number of polygons.

As an aside, I am using the builtin lighting model.

Hope someone can help.

Mark (markv at cs.uoregon.edu)