two surprises on upgrading to IRIX 3.2

David M. McQueen mcqueen at acf4.NYU.EDU
Thu Nov 16 07:55:00 AEST 1989

We have recently upgraded to IRIX 3.2 and I notice (so far) two peculiarities:

     (1) It seems to be impossible to force a stowed window to stay at
         a location other than the original stowed location. Even after
         dragging the icon to a new position, upon reopening and restowing,
         the icon goes back to the location it had when first stowed.
         Does anyone know how to make a positioned-by-hand icon stay at that
         position through subsequent reopenings? If the solution involves
         modifying some postscript file, please do not be too terse; I still
         find postscript to be somewhat obscure.

     (2) We have several programs which employ the textport to input data
         to a graphics program to alter the image. They all tucked the
         textport (a window about 40 characters wide by 3 lines high)
         unobtrusively into the lower left hand corner of the screen, an area
         into which our image never went. After recompiling and relinking
         PREVIOUSLY WORKING CODE, I find the textport window is now a very
         obtrusive 80 characters wide by 7 lines high centered at the bottom
         of my image area. Has anyone experienced this problem, and if so,
         have you figured out a remedy?

Dave McQueen