X terminals on an Iris4D

Tom Russo russo at chaos.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 12 23:49:12 AEST 1989

We have recently attached an NCD X terminal to our SGI 4D/80 server,
and I have noticed an annoying "feature" I'd like to share with you.
We're running XDM to keep track of the display, and when an user logs
in XDM spawns a UWM (I've set it up that way) and then execs an xterm
(again, nothing wrong yet).  Thing is that if one does a "who am i" in
the xterm window, it says that you are "rlogin"!  This happens for any
new xterm windows you might choose to create from UWM, except those
which explicitly rlogin to another machine or rlogin to localhost.  Of
course, except for the latter case, a "who" doesn't show any of the
people who are logged in from X terminals.  All processes you might
start from within the xterm window, however, have the correct user ID
associated with them, so a ps -u russo does show all of my processes,
including the csh that xterm is presumably execing.

Does anyone know the root of this behaviour?  Is this a normal thing,
or is something strange about the version of xterm we're running?  Our
system is running IRIX 3.1G, with the X development option.  If this
is not a normal thing, is there any way around it, short of using
"rlogin localhost" all over the place?

thanks.