Why has my printer given up?

HCART at VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK HCART at VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK
Mon Oct 16 22:25:54 AEST 1989

    I have a malibu printer on an IRIS 3130. The printer has been working
OK for some time, but now refuses to print. lpstat -t gives the
error message

    disabled by scheduler: can't open /dev/ttyd3

    As far as I can see, all the permissions are as they always were
and resetting them to their old values does not trigger the
scheduler. Stopping and starting the print queue has no effect.

    Could this be a hardware problem? Or would I get a different
message from lpstat if it couldn't activate the printer? Any help
much appreciated.

Hugh Cartwright, Oxford University.