X11 toolkits

Ramani Pichumani ramani at modesty.Stanford.EDU
Fri Oct 6 18:59:32 AEST 1989

I am currently in the process of searching for a application level
toolkit for X11 on the Iris 4D.  The software we are writing is
intended to be used by surgeons who know very little about computers
and want to know even less.  The software is very complex but the user
interface must be kept as simple as possible.  For instance, a three
button mouse is considered to be too complicated for our users so we
have to define all the mouse buttons to be functionally identical.

We would like to get a user interface (UI) toolkit that will be as
easy to use as those found on the MacIntosh or Next computers.  I have
found the UI objects in ForeSight to be too buggy, hard to debug and
unsupported.  Also, the cps packet communication scheme proved to be
hard to incorporate into our object models in Lisp.  I found the XView
toolkit from Sun to fit my requirements very nicely.  Unfortunately,
XView is only supported on Sun machines and is only intended to be
ported to BSD machines or System V Release 4 (SVR4) machines.  That
leaves me in the position of trying to port XView to the Iris 4D or
find an existing toolkit for our application.

If anyone out there knows of a X11 UI toolkit to meet our
requirements, please let me know.  Hopefully I'll get enough replies
to summarize them on the net.

Thanks in advance,

Ramani Pichumani                              Tel: (415) 723-2902 or 723-2437
Department of Computer Science                            Fax: (415) 725-7411
Margaret Jacks Hall, Room 308             email: ramani at patience.stanford.edu
Stanford, CA 94305 USA                     uunet!patience.stanford.edu!ramani