Third Party Disks for 4D/25

Keith Bierman - SPD Advanced Languages khb%chiba at Sun.COM
Sat Oct 28 10:16:34 AEST 1989

In article <1989Oct27.184925.13487 at jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> ian at dgp.toronto.edu (Ian S. Small) writes:

>... story of 3rd party drives..
>
>But when the manufacturer breaks things that used to work (and doesn't
>offer any help in fixing the problem), that's good cause for customer

I'm not in the habit of defending SGI :> , but here goes:

1)  SGI offered to solve your problem originally; there is a disk
    drive (or several) in their price list.

    I have little doubt that SGI would ensure that it worked, and would
    continue to do so.

2)  You chose to save money ... you bought a drive from someone else.
    That someone else gets to save money by not offering service,
    support, quality control, etc.

3)  You blame SGI for not doing the job of #2.

This seems unfair.

In case there is any doubt; SunManagement does not endorse this, or
any other defense of SGI (:>).

Keith H. Bierman    |*My thoughts are my own. !! kbierman at sun.com
It's Not My Fault   |	MTS --Only my work belongs to Sun*
I Voted for Bill &  | Advanced Languages/Floating Point Group
Opus                | "When the going gets Weird .. the Weird turn PRO"

"There is NO defense against the attack of the KILLER MICROS!"
			Eugene Brooks