3.2 upgrade: word of warning

Robert Viduya robert at shangri-la.gatech.edu
Mon Oct 30 02:39:02 AEST 1989

Just a word of warning: if your SGI machines are being ypserved from
non-SGI ypmaster (ours is a Sun 4/280) and you're planning on
upgrading to 3.2, make sure that /etc/services AND /etc/rpc on the
ypmaster are merged with the versions on the SGI.  Otherwise things
break, like the new WorkSpace manager.

Another minor "gotcha" that bit me was in the Visual Administration
tool.  If you let it configure your network for you, it just asks for
a hostname and IP address and defaults the other parameters to what it
thinks they should be.  It was wrong in our case; we use a broadcast
address of 128.61.0.0, not 128.61.255.255.  In the Visual
Administration tool's defense, I will say that I found it to be fairly
robust in all other areas.  I don't normally use such tools, having
learned to distrust them, but whenever I come up against one, I
usually give it a try to see how well it works.  I prefer the old,
"tried-and-true" method of mucking with the system startup scripts and
system configuration files directly.  SGI's, although somewhat limited
in what sysadm tasks it allowed you to do, was pretty solid and didn't
even complain when I did things behind its back.

			robert

Robert Viduya					   robert at shangri-la.gatech.edu
Office of Computing Services
Georgia Institute of Technology					 (404) 894-6296
Atlanta, Georgia	30332-0275