4Sight configuration

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Thu Oct 26 10:34:40 AEST 1989

In article <8910231741.aa10720 at VMB.BRL.MIL>, butler at BRL.MIL ("Lee A.
Butler", VLD/VMB) writes:
> I'v just about managed to do away with the toolchests and the WorkSpace from
> my 4Sight display (I like all my window ops on a pop-up menu).  One thing I
> can't seem to do is get Icons to automatically go to the corners of the
> display.  4Sight seems to have a wired in allowance of space on the left for
> toolchests, and space on the right for the "WorkSpace" window.  Has anyone
> gotten around this without modifying the system files?  I readily admit to
> being a neophyte at writing PostScript, so I may be missing something
obvious.

Put something like the following in your user.ps file.
%
% Personalize the icon layout
%
% Left   Bottom	Width	Height
    0	0	WORKSPACE-LEFT	RGB-TOP
/newarea IconTiler send

This makes an icon area from the left hand edge over to where the
default workspace
window starts.  The area is the full height of the screen.

I also add the following so my icons go down the screen instead of across:
/upperleft /corner IconTiler send
/vertical /direction IconTiler send

> On a related note, does anyone have any recommendations for books or
> documentation on "Introductory NeWS/4Sight?"  I've got the books from Adobe,
> but NeWS seems to be both more and less than the PostScript in those books.
> The SGI manuals seem to deal mostly with programatic interfaces to 4Sight.
Try "The NeWS Book" by Arden, Gosling and Rosenthal published by
Springer-Verlag.
It gives a good introduction and a description of the PostScript
extensions that
goes beyond that in the 4Sight (and NeWS) manuals.
--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"There is much virtue in a window.  It is to a human being as a frame is to
a painting, as a proscenium to a play.  It strongly defines its content."