X Windows performance on PI

Jim Bennett bennett at galois.esd.sgi.com
Wed Oct 4 05:05:00 AEST 1989

In article <14134 at shamash.cdc.com>, pwp at shamash.cdc.com ( HOUFAC) writes:
> Does anyone know how the Turbo Graphics option affects X-windows performance
> on a Personal IRIS? (For applications running locally -- not across a network.)
>
> I'm already planning a 20MHz CPU upgrade -- any idea how much that'll help?
> Is X CPU-bound or graphics-bound??
>
> Thanks!  --Pete Poorman

I haven't benchmarked this, so I can't give you a precise answer.  In
general, the CPU speedup will give you the greatest boost in performance.

The Turbo graphics upgrade will help out applications that are drawing lots
of lines or small polygons.  Large polygons are slightly improved.

Jim Bennett   (bennett at esd.sgi.com)