BSD Style "lpr" for 4D

David A Higgen daveh at xtenk.sgi.com
Sat Oct 21 08:31:30 AEST 1989

In article <352 at ai.etl.army.mil>, richr at ai.etl.army.mil (Richard Rosenthal) writes:
> A while back BSD style "lpr" for IRIS 4D was discussed.
>
> I want to be able to remote print to BSD VAX.  Will this
> "lpr" for IRIS 4D do this?  If so, is there somewhere I can
> get it by way of "ftp?"

We have done a port of the lpr spooler; it will appear
in the next IRIX release (don't know if this is known as "3.3" or
"aspen" to the outside world; anyway, it's the one after 3.2!)

I'm not sure if it will come as a standard part of the release (it does
after all essentially duplicate much of the functionality of the existing IRIX
spooler system), but if not it will certainly be available as an option.

I believe there may be some non-SGI ports of lpr around, but I don't know
where they are or how good they are; for example, do they understand
SGI executable & archive file formats? do they do the tty settings
correctly?...  Caveat ftp'er!!

				Dave Higgen