moving CPUs far away

Mike York zombie at voodoo.UUCP
Tue Oct 24 00:47:41 AEST 1989

In article <8910201651.AA15183 at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> swanson at UXE.CSO.UIUC.EDU (Amy Swanson) writes:

>                      ...  I would like to know if anyone has had any
>experience with simply moving a CPU about 75'-100' from the monitor and the
>wonderful things I can expect to happen from this;...

We have 23 4D/70's that are cabled between 135' and 189'.  We haven't
had any real problems with this, although some of our users claim some of
the displays are somewhat "washed out".  This may be due to the cable
length, but is seems to be caused by differences in the individual displays.
SGI told us the supported limit was 75', so we usually move a bad display
to a machine with 10' cables to prove the display is bad before calling
SGI to fix it.

--
Mike York
Boeing Computer Services, Renton, Washington