Virtual Memory (Was: Disappearing debug)

Jim Barton jmb at patton.sgi.com
Fri Oct 6 03:13:15 AEST 1989

In article <492 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, buck at drax.gsfc.nasa.gov (Loren (Buck) Buchanan) writes:
> All of this discussion brings back a question I have had for a while, and
> that is:
>
> 	How do you tell how much virtual (and real) memory a given
> 	process is using?
>
> B Cing U
>
> Buck
>
> Loren "Buck" Buchanan | internet: buck at drax.gsfc.nasa.gov | standard disclaimer
> CSC, 1100 West St.    | uucp: ...!ames!dftsrv!drax!buck   | "By the horns of a
> Laurel, MD 20707      | phonenet: (301) 497-2531 or 9898  | sky demon..."

The 'ps -l' command shows the process size and resident set size for processes.
The man page has all the detail, but please examine the SZ:RSS field.
The numbers take the format 'n:m', where 'n' is the virtual size of the
process (in pages), and 'm' is the number of pages actually residing
in memory.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb