(none)

Leif Laaksonen laaksone at BIO.VTT.FI
Fri Oct 13 17:43:33 AEST 1989

I'm sorry to bother you once more with this query but I must have explained
my problem in my previous query very badly.

I have some problems with our 4D/70GTB. Quite frequently the screen goes black
in the middle of a graphics session. No this has nothing to do with the
screen blanks after some time intervals. There is now way I know of to get the
display alive again. (I have not tried a hammer). (We had problems with one
of the graphics boards which was replaced some weeks ago.) One of the things
I tried was to kill grcond and restart the graphics. Some times this works.
The problem is that it is usually impossible to kill the old grcond. Usually I
just boot the system. This is very annoying because we are running quite long
jobs in the background. The next thing I did was to look into the SYSLOG file
and found the following things:

Oct  3 12:56:53 geeni grcond[9658]: Child process /bin/wsh terminated with status 9
Oct  3 12:56:58 geeni grcond[9658]: Child process /bin/news_server terminated with status 0
Oct  6 10:38:16 geeni grcond[2868]: Child process /bin/wsh terminated with status 9
Oct  6 10:38:16 geeni grcond[2868]: Child process /bin/news_server terminated with status 6
Oct  6 13:02:26 geeni grcond[3548]: CIO: NeWS: bus error signal received
Oct  6 13:02:26 geeni grcond[3548]: Child process /bin/news_server terminated with status 6
Oct  6 11:07:42 geeni grcond[3396]: Child process /bin/wsh terminated with status 0
Oct  6 11:07:44 geeni grcond[3396]: CIO: NeWS: segmentation violation signal received
Oct  6 11:07:44 geeni grcond[3396]: Child process /bin/news_server terminated with status 6

What's the problem when /bin/wsh exits with status 9 and /bin/news_server exits
with status 6 and what might be the problem to the bus error and segment
violation? I phoned the local SGI service and a chap had a look at the
system but he did not find anything wrong with it. And the screen still goes
black. Is there any suggestions?

Many thanks,

               Leif Laaksonen

Technical research centre of Finland
Biotechnical laboratory

LAAKSONEN at FINFUN or
laaksone at geeni.bio.vtt.fi

Ps. It's still very wet and cold in Finland.