waiting for `man'........

John D. McCalpin mccalpin at masig3.masig3.ocean.fsu.edu
Tue Oct 31 04:30:43 AEST 1989

Has anyone put together a replacement for the `man' command on the 4D
machines?  Every time I try to use it, I am amazed that a machine
costing so much money can do something sooooo slowly! :-)

Seriously, the `man' program is *much* too slow to be useful for
online reference, and there has to be some reasonable way to replace
it.  Has anyone done this?

The one (and only) thing that I liked about the Apollo DN10000 was
that when you typed `man csh', it opened a window already filled with
the first page of text in about 1 second.  Going back to the SGI
machine (even a 4D/240) was very painful....

John D. McCalpin - mccalpin at masig1.ocean.fsu.edu
		   mccalpin at scri1.scri.fsu.edu
		   mccalpin at delocn.udel.edu