screen-save with colormap and RGB modes

Jeff P.M. Hultquist hultquis at orville.nas.nasa.gov
Fri Oct 27 14:22:35 AEST 1989

I am using a Personal Iris running IRIX 3.1 ...

For making screen-dumps, I have been using the program 'scrsave'
(which is in '/usr/people/4Dgifts/...').  This works fine for
windows which are in colormap mode, but it doesn't grab the proper
color-components for windows which are using RGBmode.  The source
for 'scrsave.c' contains a call to 'gl_readscreen', which appears
to be intended to handle pixels regardless of their display mode.
This function is not listed in the man pages; however, it *is* in
'/usr/lib/libgl.a'.

So ... what gives?

   * Can I find the displayed color of a pixel regardless
	of its display mode?
   * If so, how?
   * If gl_readscreen is the right thing to be using for this,
	why is my copy broken?

Solutions (or even hints) will be warmly welcomed;
send mail to me and I will summarize.
--
Jeff Hultquist
     hultquis at nas.nasa.gov